Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Marion McPartland's Piano Jazz

I was recently in France. And as I do whenever I go to a different country, different city, I always check out the books stores and the music stores. And when I am in a music store I go straight to the jazz section and look under "M". For Mehldau. It's just habit. I really don't quite know why - but I just think that there may be some weird album I have missed out on. Sometimes there is. Sometimes they file some other performers work that feature him. I'm not obsessed - but he is my starting point I guess. Anyway getting back to France. So it produced a wee suprise in Marian McPartland's Piano Jazz Radio broadcast of her interview with Brad. It's wonderful. My friend Michael says that she has been going for years, and has interviewed his favourites...Bill Evans, Oscar Peterson to name some. What amazed me - when she volunteered to play something herself was how absolutely timeless it was. It could have almost been Brad. Or some hip contemporary NY dude.

No comments: